34ºc, Sunny
Sunday, 30 November 2025
Gulf Horizon News
October 15, 2025 – Gulf Horizon News Staff Report
A devastating fire broke out early Monday morning on an offshore oil and gas platform located roughly 55 miles (85 km) off the coast of the Gulf of America, killing two workers and injuring several others. The blaze, which erupted around 08:30 AM on October 13, forced the emergency evacuation of most of the crew as flames engulfed critical areas of the rig. According to authorities, four deckhands suffered severe burns and remain in critical condition, while several others were treated for smoke inhalation and minor injuries. The U.S. Coast Guard and federal safety officials were dispatched within minutes and are now conducting a full safety assessment of the site.
“This is a deeply tragic day for our company and our industry,” said Peter Rogers, senior spokesperson for the contracting petroleum firm operating the rig. “We extend our deepest condolences to the families of those who lost their lives and are providing full support to all affected.”
Explosion Triggered by Engine Failure
Preliminary findings suggest the fire was caused by a sudden failure of one of the platform’s main engines — a unit that had previously shown signs of malfunction but had been repaired. Despite the maintenance, the engine flared up again on Monday morning, triggering a powerful explosion and subsequent blaze. “While technicians were assigned to monitor the equipment, the rapid failure was beyond anyone’s control,” Rogers explained. “We are cooperating fully with investigators to determine what went wrong.”
Swift Emergency Response:
Evacuation procedures were initiated within minutes of the explosion, with Coast Guard rescue vessels and emergency medical teams arriving shortly after. Most workers were transported safely to the mainland, though a small team of senior engineers remained onboard to stabilize operations and oversee fire suppression efforts. The fire was brought under control after several hours, and officials say the platform’s structural integrity is now being evaluated. Early estimates indicate equipment damage in the hundreds of thousands of dollars, though a full financial impact report has yet to be released.
Investigation Underway:
A joint investigation involving federal regulators, safety inspectors, and the company’s internal engineering team is ongoing. The focus will be on identifying potential mechanical failures, assessing operational procedures, and preventing future incidents of this nature. Environmental teams have also been deployed to monitor the surrounding waters for potential contamination, though initial reports indicate no significant spills or ecological damage.
“This incident underscores the high-risk nature of offshore operations,” said a Coast Guard spokesperson. “Our priority now is ensuring the safety of all personnel and securing the site for a thorough investigation.”
Source: Golf Horizon News 2025